Bottom Team:Gary Banta, Mark Lloyd
Visibility:30'Time:12:00 AM
Temp:55FSurge:5'
Max Depth:100FSWAvg Depth: 
Bottom Time: Total Time: 
Bottom Gases:EAN32Deco Gases:
Backgas Config:Double Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Five of us made the recreational boat on Dec 8th. Ian, Devin, Clinton, Mark, and Gary. We took at look at the point to see if the conditions permitted us going over to Carmel but the wind and waves were picking up so we opted for Ball Buster instead. The water didnt look too bad and after we anchored Gary and I dropped down about 10 feet and immediately a Mola Mola motored right by us on its way to become a seal snack. The bottom conditions were pretty good with hardly any current or surge and about 20 feet + of visibility. Lots of the Metridiums were out, along with a few schools of Rockfish, Painted Greenlings, Ling Cods, Crabs, etc. Gary and I went around the pinnacle once and met up with the second team taking a few pictures of a very tiny wolf eel in a hole. Around we went for a second time then attempted to find the anchor which we were unsuccessful at. I put a bag up and began a nice slow ascent while checking out the jellies on the way up. Many of them had the small fish in the tentacles, which is pretty cool. We met another Mola Mola and a pair of sea lions danced and blew bubbles at us near the surface.

Once back on the boat we motored to Shale Island. After our 1 hour surface interval was up we dove back in and found the vis to be equally good at Shale. We followed the lip of the island and immediately came upon a red octopus hunting for its dinner and right next to it was a nice yellow headed fringehead. We kept finding these red octopus all along the dive. At one point two of them were fighting over a small piece of squid which was attached to a fishing lure. As Gary and I followed the island all the way round we spotted a large lingcod with the tail of a small wolf eel sticking out of its mouth, that was unfortunate but cool non the less. Great diving, Clinton has already posted some pictures at: http://baue.org/images/galleries/v/local/RecBoat_12_8_12/

marlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote