Go Back   BAUE Forum > Diving > Trip Reports


Trip Reports View and discuss trip reports

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
BAUE Member
beto's Avatar
Name: Alberto
GUE Certs: , Tech1, Tech2, Instructor
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 172
beto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to beto
Default 2/6/2009 Deep E3 aboard Phil Sammet's RIB by Alberto Nava

2/6/2009 Deep E3 aboard Phil Sammet's RIB by Alberto Nava -- [View in Reports Page]

Bottom Team:Susan Bird, Alberto Nava
Visibility:20' - 30'Time:10:00 AM
Temp:53F - 53FSurge:2'
Scooter:Gavin ShortBurn Time: 
Max Depth:219FSWAvg Depth:180FSW
Bottom Time:0:30Total Time:1:30
Bottom Gases:15/55Deco Gases:EAN50,O2
Backgas Config:Double HP120Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:
Sue and I got to Lobos at about 8:30am. We have schedule to dive with Phil but the conditions had us a little worry. The cove was still flat so we ventured to the outside to check the actual condition.

Plan A was K3/YankeePoint area but as soon as we past the west corner of the park the wind and swells were large, with white caps. It was all coming from the south so backing a little bit we found very calm condition just outsite E3.

We dropped at Deep E3 and headed for the drop-off near the sand. We did a little detour (I felt by compass was stuck for a while ????) for a while and found a large rock with 10-15 crinoids on top. They are not as colourful as the tropical ones but still pretty nice to see.

We finally got to the based of Deep E3 and located the purple sea fans that live in there. I had the impression that it has crown quite a bit since last time. It's now 2 ft diameter. It's always weird to be looking at the bright purple colony at 220ft. It always make me think if I have enough He as this are not suppose to be in our water.

We continued around the pinnacle and found several cool vase sponges and some large school of rock-fish.

The plan was to motor to E3 and ascend on it but a couple of unsuccessfully attempts at 150ft had us abandon the plan and we came back to the up-line.

We decided not to deployed an SMB for a change and deco on the up-line. There was no current at all and it was a nice deco with moon jellies swimming by.

Let's hope the south wind continues so we get decent conditions on Sunday.

beto is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.