Old 07-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
beto
BAUE Member

Name: Alberto
GUE Certs: , Tech1, Tech2, Instructor
beto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to beto
Default 7/7/2012 Sobranes Wall aboard Escapade by Alberto Nava

7/7/2012 Sobranes Wall aboard Escapade by Alberto Nava -- [View in Reports Page]

Bottom Team:Jim Capwell, Alberto Nava, Joakim Linde
Visibility:5' - 50'Time:12:00 AM
Temp: Surge: 
Max Depth:150FSWAvg Depth: 
Bottom Time:0:40Total Time:1:10
Bottom Gases:18/45Deco Gases:21/35
Backgas Config: Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Out on the Escapade yesterday for some tech and rec diving. I waked up at about 7am and looked out and it was totally foggy. I could not even see Hwy 1 out from our house so it was not starting as the best day. The team gathered together and decided to go out to sea hoping the fog will clear as we motored out. Well it did not, so we decided to get close to shore and dive something that had some kelp on top so we could do our deco in there.

First dive was at Soberanes Wall. I dove this place first time in 1998 soon after arriving to California. I have meet some "crazy" divers that didn't believe in boat
diving so we would drive south on Hwy1, hike down a small trail, swim 400ft of shore to find the Kelp and do our dive. The worst part was hiking back to the car with you dark weight belt ;-). I still remember getting a second belt and hiding it at the water edge. I also remember taking Susan out of an diving date down to Soberanes. After that I was sure she was a keeper ;-)

A while after I learnt that there were very nice dive boats out of monterey and that they will go to the same places, but no hiking and good food was also provided. So Susan and I decided no more hiking and diving, and of we went to dive on the boats.

Soberanes wall goes from 40ft at the top, and there is a almost vertical drop to about 100-120 and then down to 150ft. The best part of the dive in btw 130 to 100ft with tons of life on the wall specially on the south end, and on the back side on the wall there is nice canyon full of metridiums that goes from 120 to 70ft, and half way on the canon there is a little rock stuck on it forcing you to ascend to go by. This is a perfect R3 or T1 dive.

There is a very nice set of bulb kept at the top which made it for a really fun deco scootering in and out of the kelp. We found some nice kelp crab handing in middle water.

Vis was crappy at the bottom, but really nice from 30ft up.

Second dive we headed back for Lobos Rocks to see if we could capture some GoPro video of the seal lions. However, the swells were a bit more than two weeks ago so it was more challenging to hand with them. The best action was btw 15-10ft but that was also were the breaking water were so it was tricky. After about 30min of playing there we were all about to puke our brownies so we head back to the boat, where most of us got a bit sick for the looping and spinning with the seals plus the boat movement on the way back.

Fun day out! I hope Kevin and Allison post some video clip :-)
beto is offline   Reply With Quote