Bottom Team:mykle hoban, Patrick Webster
Visibility:20' - 55'Time:10:00 AM
Temp:51F - 53FSurge: 
Max Depth:37FSWAvg Depth:25FSW
Bottom Time:0:55Total Time: 
Bottom Gases:EAN32Deco Gases:
Backgas Config:Double HP100Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Took a (non-BAUE) friend to Lobos today who's been asking me to go with him for a while. Man, am I glad I did. I don't think I've seen the swell model that uniformly dark blue for a long time. We arrived to an empty parking lot, glassy smooth water, and aquarium-like vis inside the cove. I had been wanting to check out the "caves" in Coal Chute cove for quite some time but had not had ideal conditions until today, so we decided to go for it. We dropped at the worm patch into the kelp forest of nature shows: perfectly vertical stipes, vis for miles, and god rays shining down through every break in the canopy. From there we kicked across to coal chute over reef and rubble that is usually obscured by the murky water that tends to prevail inside Whaler's Cove. The highlight of the outward journey was a large male sheephead on the eastern side of middle reef. Arriving at the wall on the outside of Coal Chute, we kicked around to the other side and came across the larger of the two passages. Hovering outside the entrance, the chamber was backlit by the opening at the top and a massive school of blue rockfish (both adults and juveniles) were gathered near the ceiling. We kicked in a little ways and looked around, before exiting and and kicking further along the wall. The second swim-through, more of an arch, was equally epic. We kicked back across the cove, hoping to spot a leopard shark (sadly, none appeared, but we encountered the sheephead again) and surfaced right off the end of the ramp.

For a dive that averaged maybe 25 feet and with a max depth of 34, I consider this in my top 5 best dives at Lobos to date.
mykle is offline   Reply With Quote