rhlee
BAUE Director

Name: Robert
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1, Tech2, Cave1, Cave2, Rebreather, Instructor, DPV1
rhlee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rhlee
Default 1/28/2009 Breakwater by Robert Lee

1/28/2009 Breakwater by Robert Lee -- [View in Reports Page]

Bottom Team:Robert Lee, Clinton Bauder, Scott L.
Visibility:20'Time:12:00 AM
Temp: Surge: 
Max Depth:40FSWAvg Depth: 
Bottom Time: Total Time:1:30
Bottom Gases:EAN32Deco Gases:
Backgas Config:Single HP100Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Inspired by recent conditions and Beto/Sue's night dive last week, Clinton and I headed down for a weeknight insanity dive. We had an out-of-towner (Scott) from Seattle with us who was also shooting macro.

Sue and Beto had reported seeing a sailfin sculpin last week which I've never seen before and badly wanted to see, so we decided to head out along the wall and poke around in the rocks before heading back over the sand.

The visibility was noticeably lower than the last time we did this, but it was still acceptable. Almost immediately after dropping I noticed a lone squid swimming around, and pretty soon the poor thing was surrounded on all sides by flashing strobes. I'm sure he'll have interesting stories to tell his squid friends about weird aliens with bright lights :-)

Not long after that, Clinton found the sailfin sculpin on the bottom near the base of the wall. We took turns with him before moving on. Other notable finds were a large lobster (first one I've seen up here) way up in a crack in the rocks (possibly the same guy Sue & Beto saw last week?), as well as several pricklebacks that Clinton found, but were too skittish to get on film (or flash-RAM as it were).

All in all, it was a fun dive, the only bummer being it was well after 1am when I got home and got the camera rinsed :-(

Pics here.
rhlee is offline   Reply With Quote