Bottom Team:Mark Lloyd, Dionna House
Visibility: Time:10:42 AM
Temp:50F - 50FSurge: 
Max Depth:73FSWAvg Depth:51FSW
Bottom Time: Total Time:1:14
Bottom Gases:EAN32Deco Gases:
Backgas Config:Double Deco Tanks:
Deco Profile:

Dionna and I were successful getting into Lobos today without a reservation. The parking lot was a ghost town at 9am with only 1 team in the park, and they were just sitting in their car. The tide was coming in, the swell looked minimal, and there was no wind to speak of. We geared up with me taking my video camera and my double 85s. Kicked out to the rim of the cove and dropped down as usual. The vis was not too bad at the surface but the bottom 10-15' was milky. As we made our way to hole in the wall, I spotted a large Leopard Shark sitting in the sand. I signaled Dionna and got my video ready. As I was futzing with the camera I spotted another large Leopard shark just ahead of it. Both of them obviously saw me readying my video and decided to screw with me and took off. I cursed under my breath, slowly getting my video lights into position. By this time I was pointing South toward the cove and happened to look up and see a large whale tail make three swoops and disappear into the cove. What the hell ... it took a few seconds for that one to register. Did I just see a freekin' whale ... Holy smokes... Anyone know the sign for a whale underwater? I sure didn't as I tried to convey to Dionna something big this way passed. Unbelievable things were happening, its like I just saw the Loch Ness Monster and the battery on my camera died. Anyway, the rest of the dive was fun, with us swimming past the Lone Metridium and a couple of pinnacles West of there before turning around and coming back in. Unfortunately no sharks or whales to be found on our return.

On our second dive, Beto joined us and we essentially did the same route with me shooting some video again, and of course nothing spectacular happened. What a day! Those two Leopard Sharks are definitely around and should not be too hard to find again. Not so sure about the whale.
marlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote