Bottom Team:Susan Bird, Alberto Nava, Joseph (Karl) Haywood
Visibility:30' - 60'Time:10:00 AM
Temp:51F - 51FSurge:4'
Max Depth:202FSWAvg Depth:180FSW
Bottom Time:0:33Total Time:1:30
Bottom Gases:18/45Deco Gases:EAN50,O2
Backgas Config:Double Deco Tanks:AL40,AL80
Deco Profile:

As the weekend approached I was wondering what our diving plans would be. Sue and I had booked Phil's RIB for Friday but we didn't have anything else planned. I looked at the BAUE calender and we had nothing on the schedule. No tech or rec charters :-(. So I decided to change the scene. I called Jim Capwell and after doing a few creative scheduling maneuvers we were able to free Sunday morning for an impromptu tech dive. Now it was looking like a good weekend :-).

I love that we have so many more tech divers in BAUE these days... after a short email promoting the trip we immediately had 7-8 people willing to go diving. The final roster was: the Kitty-duo (Rob and Allison), Clinton and Matt, and Sue, Karl and Beto.

So the next question was where to go. We have being diving Mt Chamberlin very often so a desire for something different was in the air. Rob and I exchanged some waypoints and he finally decided we would do a new site south of Flintstone. It was good that it was Rob's decision so in case it was a not so good dive site I would not be the one to blame ;-)

So we loaded the boat at 7:30am and headed down to Yankee Point. The wind was a little strong and there were some white caps on the ocean but the swells were not very big. We arrived at the site and were able locate a 124ft peak on a 200ft diameter pinnacle. There was quite a lot of relief in the 150-160ft range and then it dropped to about 210ft at the sand.

We saw many rock fish at the base: big vermillions and canneries and we found a small juvenile yellow eye rockfish. There were very large elephant ear sponges, and tons of decorator crabs on the walls. The pinnacle is quite large and we were able to circumnavigate it near the base for about 20min and then do another loop mid-way for about 10-15min.

Visibility was a little less than what we have had recently but still good 60ft at the bottom and 40ft at shallower parts.

We were back at the dock by about noon with plenty of time to get food and go watch the game.

Another amazing winter diving day :-)

beto is offline   Reply With Quote