Go Back   BAUE Forum > Diving > General

Notices

General Anything you want to talk about or ask BAUE.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
jim.t.mac

Name: Jim
GUE Certs: GUEF
jim.t.mac is on a distinguished road
Default Reef Check - BAUE

I've started this thread so that people can share that they've signed up for the Reef Check or, in the case of those more experienced, their recertification as well as share their experiences with the program.

I thought it would be better to take this off the email list to avoid sending too many emails to the whole group. The sign up for the Monterey Bay training can be found here:
http://reefcheck.org/rcca/training_schedule.php

I've signed up, which makes one! Hopefully we can continue to add one member at a time, I'm looking for teammates so I hope some others join and post here.

I'm sure there's a few more of you that have done the training in the past and would be willing to re-certify so that we can organize some surveys and hopefully build a collaborative program with Reef Check going forward.
jim.t.mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
BVillao
BAUE Member

Name: Ben V
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1
BVillao is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BVillao

I've participated in Reefcheck before and was able to complete some surveys on 2009... 2010 wasn't so productive because of Tech 1 class. I'll see if I can line things up for a recert.

The program is also very useful because of the access to the many biologists associated with the programs. Just one of the interesting things I found on their forums was the Rockfish Young of the Year identification slideshow... pretty interesting and educational (not like sorting out adult roskfish was hard enough)

http://forum.reefcheck.org/phpbb3/vi...php?f=3&t=1277

direct link to slideshow download below:

Quote:
For those of you interested in rockfish YOY, I have a PowerPoint presentation here:
http://www.blueplanetdivers.org/juvseb/

login: sebastes, sebastes

Dida

Last edited by BVillao; 01-25-2011 at 10:33 PM.
BVillao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
COYOTE
BAUE Director

Name: Dionna
GUE Certs: GUEF, RecTriox, Tech1, Tech2
COYOTE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to COYOTE

Hello~
I participated in ReefCheck training way back when it first started. Cindi Dawson was my instructor. Can't say enough nice things about her and her enthusiasm about Reefcheck. I tried to get BAUE going with Reefcheck, but, it just wasn't the right time. I have been thinking about getting my renewal. Actually I would probably have to do the class over again. It would be a time issue for me. I'm trying to get work and keep a steady income coming in. I would be more than happy to share my experiences with you or anyone. The training is great!! and very worthwhile to participate.
COYOTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
susan
BAUE Director

Name: Susan
GUE Certs: , Tech1, Tech2
susan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to susan
Default *from Suzanne Baird

It is a great program. The knowledge definitely increases one’s enjoyment of diving. No question. And the entire project is extremely worthwhile as a step in documenting and protecting our ocean environment.

It might be helpful for divers to know that April is a prime time for Reef Check, as many of the surveys take place during that month.

It would be great to get more BAUE (GUE trained people involved).
In my experience with Nathalie and Dionna vs other non – GUE trained Reef Check Divers, there is just much greater comfort in diving with a GUE trained person. Coordination and collaboration on the Reef Check tasks is much easier because the underlying approach to diving is a given. We found that we significantly preferred diving with a GUE trained buddy. Buddy coordination while still completing the Reef Check tasks was a priority for us. This is not emphasized as much in the Reef Check training although safety is always a consideration.

Suzanne
susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
susan
BAUE Director

Name: Susan
GUE Certs: , Tech1, Tech2
susan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to susan
Default Question for the Reef Check veterans

How many divers do you think BAUE would need to have trained to form a solid core group? Four? Six? Eight?

It would be really awesome to one day have enough to fill a R-C boat with BAUE divers! Can any of you describe how the R-C boats do the surveys? Which boats do the charter... is it free for divers? Etc.
susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
COYOTE
BAUE Director

It looks like they have the Monterey Express(Capt Phil) and the Silver Prince. It is always entertaining to have Phil Sammett. The charter boats are usually at a very very reduce rate. Very nominal fee. I think Reefcheck compensates some of the charters. The training is two weekends. My experience: The training can be difficult with Identification. The protocols are straight forward once you learn it. It helps to have a certain dive skill level. You will not be focusing on skills during the dive. They are looking to get some good data.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
COYOTE
BAUE Director

Describing the actually "how to do the survey" will take to much time to type. You will need to be quick with Identification of species. Must be able to multitask while underwater.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
BVillao
BAUE Member

Name: Ben V
GUE Certs: GUEF, Tech1
BVillao is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BVillao

I think you can take the online quizzes if you register with Reefcheck California. The hardest part for me was the fish ID... after a while though you can narrow down what you expect to see and review those before hand. For us here you can toss out quite a few (Garabaldi, Black Sea Bass, ect) so the more often you do it the easier it becomes. The hard part about the test is the time limit. You only get 7 seconds to ID the critter... (multiple choice) but there is also no limit to the amount of times you can re test

I'm still on the fence on the re-cert... but I'll let you know if I decide to do it.

Ben

PS more info on the protocols below
http://www.reefcheck.org/rcca/monitoring_protocol.php

Last edited by BVillao; 01-26-2011 at 09:16 PM.
BVillao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
j_adelaars

Hey Jimmy,

I just signed up for the Reef Check cert for late June in Monterey. I just earned my Fundies cert in December and I've been utilizing my new skills conducting research dives for CSUMB. Currently im a graduate student at CSUMB focusing on Applied Marine Ecology. I'd love to assist you in facilitating a relationship between BAUE and Reef Check. Im looking forward to the class! I live local in Monterey if you ever want to get together for a few dives.

Jason
Old 02-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
jim.t.mac

Name: Jim
GUE Certs: GUEF
jim.t.mac is on a distinguished road

Hi Jason,

Excellent! Look forward to buddying up with you for Reef Check! Congratulations on your fundies cert, I did my fundies in the warm water of SE Asia so I give respect to those of you that get it done out here in drysuits and heavy undergarments.

I'll be joining the Rec boat this upcoming weekend. If you're interested to join please sign up and we can talk on the boat. Otherwise I may be able to stay in Monterey to Sunday and do a few dives then if I can book a room. Feel free to email me at jim.t.mac at gmail.com.

Best!
Jimmy
jim.t.mac is offline   Reply With Quote